gb fi
TakeHelsinki
 

 Manta570.jpgTHE FINNISH CAPITAL REGION

The Finnish capital region consists of four cities: Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa and Kauniainen. The region is home to around 1 million inhabitants, which is almost a quarter of the total population of Finland.

The location on the Baltic Sea, cultural climate and green landscapes of the capital region offer a lot to see to visitors from all over the world.

The commuter towns surrounding the capital region are Hyvinkää, Järvenpää, Kerava, Kirkkonummi, Nurmijärvi, Sipoo, Tuusula and Vihti.

The City of Kirkkonummi

Hvitträsk

Hvitträsk Kirkkonummi

Hvitträsk was built  between 1901-1903 by Finnish architects Herman Gesellius, Armas Lindgren and Eliel Saarinen. The main building, designed in National Romantic style, built of logs and natural stone, was both a common studio and a home for Eliel Saarinen and Armas Lindgren for some years after it was completed. During that time, Gesellius lived in the courtyard building and later moved into the north-wing of the main building after Lindgren relocated in Helsinki.

During the early decades, the main building served as both an architectural office and as a cultural home. It was visited by such esteemed figures as Jean Sibelius, Axel Gallen-Kallela and Maksim Gorki.

The office's staff also lived at Hvitträsk, and this is where the plans were drawn up for the Helsinki Railway Station, the National Museum of Finland and the monumental Munkkiniemi-Haaga project, among other grand works.

Hvitträsk is also the boyhood home for world famous architect Eero Saarinen, who made his reputation primarily in the United States designing buildings and monuments such as the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri.

The Saarinen home is a museum today, and within the courtyard building are a restaurant and a café. Hvitträsk and its lovely English style garden are surrounded by beautiful nature near the shore of Lake Vitträsk.
Source National Board of Antiquities

Website >

Address: Hvitträskintie 166, 02440 LUOMA
Phone: +358 40 128 6359

Pokrova Church and Pokrova Orthodox Brotherhood

The gilded dome of the Pokrova Church shines like a sun over the Jorvas landscape and dispels any doubts about the nature of the building. Pokrova stands for Virgin Mary’s protection. The Dannebrog property got the Pokrova name when Father Hariton in 1996 commenced the enormous task which today constitutes a brotherhood trying to get the status of a monastery.
The old horse stables, which were used as a bakery during the Soviet naval base era 1944-1956, have been transformed into a colourful church with the help of Russian icon painters and many voluntary workers. The kitchen and a cosy dining-hall are placed in the main building. The guests are treated with delicacies with a Russian touch.
The garden has been restored and added on during the years, and it is an oasis to enjoy in silence. And the visitors have the chance to stay as there are accommodation premises in the new building.
Pokrova welcomes visitors to a limited extent, by pre-agreement during certain periods of time. Open-house days are arranged regularly, and there are borscht soup and cabbage pasties on sale.
The Finnish Orthodox Archdiocese constitutes an autonomous church in connection with the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. The number of members in the Finnish Orthodox church is approximately 60,000.
Source

Website of Visit Southpoint Finland >

Address: Elfvinginkuja 11, 02420 JORVAS
Phone: +358 9 221 1400