gb fi


MOVING to Helsinki

Moving to Helsinki is an exciting opportunity but also a great challenge. Finding what to expect of coming to Finland and learning how to find a place to live in, how to move, get a work, start to study or go to school or connecting with your community can be an interesting project, but help is always available.

Welcome to Live in Finland

Centre for International Mobility CIMO

Welcome to Study in Finland

CIMO is an organisation for international mobility and cooperation, providing expertise and services to clients at home and abroad. Established in 1991, CIMO is an independent agency under the Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture.

CIMO´S main task is to promote international cooperation and mobility in the Finnish society with specific emphasis on education, training, working life, culture and young people.

It implement various exchange, trainee and scholarship programmes. CIMO is the national agency for European Union education, training and youth programmes, a contact point for the EU’s Creative Europe and a Europe for Citizens point in Finland.

CIMO also supports the teaching of Finnish Studies at universities outside Finland, with a focus on language and culture. One of the key duties is also to gather, process and distribute relevant information to serve the needs of our many different customers.

While the core funding for CIMO’s work comes from Finnish government budget, about 70 per cent of the annual expenditure is drawn from external sources. The main sponsors are the European Commission and the Nordic Council of Ministers.

Text -Centre for International Mobility CIMO

Website >

Address: Hakaniemenranta 6, 00530 HELSINKI
Phone: +358 295 338 500

Kela's Centre for International Affairs

Supervised by the Finnish Parliament, Kela is an independent social security institution with its own administration and finances. The parliamentary supervision is exercised by a group of Trustees appointed by Parliament.

Eligibility for Finnish social security benefits is based on residence in Finland. When you move to or from Finland, Kela issues a decision on your eligibility for social security benefits.

Website >

Address: Runeberginkatu 3, 00100 HELSINKI
Phone: +358 20 634 0200

TE Office

Welcome to Work in Finland

Finnish working life is becoming multifaceted and in the future our country will need an increasing number of competent employees in various fields, also from abroad.
When you come to live in Finland, you can contact the Employment and Economic Development Office, or the TE Office, to ask for services that will support your integration and employment.
The TE Office will help you to find a job. The TE Office offers a large selection of services to support your job seeking.

Website >

Address: Uudenmaankatu 16 B, 00120 HELSINKI
Phone: + 358 295 040 000

The Finnish Immigration Service

The Finnish Immigration Sevice (Migri), subordinate to the Ministery of the Interior, is the agency that processes and decides on matters related to immigration, residence, refugee issues, and Finnish nationality.

Website >

Address: Lautatarhankatu 10, 00580 HELSINKI
Phone: + 358 295 419 600

The Immigration Authorities in Helsinki

A number of bodies share the responsibility for handling immigration matters in Finland. In addition to the police, the Ministry of the Interior’s Immigration Department, the Ministry for Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Labour, the Directorate of Immigration, the Border Guard and the Customs are in charge of immigration matters. The police focus on providing licence services and establishing the legality of an alien’s residence in the country.

The following are regarded as indications of a permanent move to Finland:

-  return migration
-  employment lasting at least 2 years
-  marriage or other close familial relationship with a person permanently residing in Finland
-  you are expected to have been issued a residence permit valid for at least one year


When is a residence permit not necessary?

In some cases it is sufficient that you have a residence permit or a visa granted by another Schengen country, or that you are allowed to reside in Finland without a visa. In these situations the right to work is limited to certain jobs, and it applies for a maximum of 90 days, yet no longer than your visa is valid.


Citizens of the EU/EEA member states

If you are a citizen of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you will not require a residence permit for Finland.

Information on permit matters is available from the police.

Website >

Address: Pasilanraitio 11, HELSINKI
Phone: +358 71 877 0111